This is a vocabulary test 1-2000
Complete the underlined words. The first one has been done for you.
He was riding a bicycle____
1. It is the de______ that counts, not the thought.
2. Plants receive water from the soil through their ro____.
3. The nu____ was helping the doctor in the operation room.
4. Since he is unskilled, he earns low wa______.
5. This year long sk_____ are fashionable again.
6. Laws are based upon the principle of jus______.
7. He is walking on the ti____ of his toes.
8. The mechanic had to replace the mo_____ of the car.
9. There is a co_____ of the original report in the file.
10. They had to cl_____ a steep mountain to reach the cabin.
11. The doctor ex_______ the patient thoroughly.
12. The house was su_______ by a big garden.
13. The railway con_______ London with its suburbs.
14. She wan________ aimlessly in the street.
15. The organizers li________ the number of participants to fifty.
16. This work is not up to your usu______ standard.
17. They sat down to eat even though they were not hu______.
18. You must have been very br______ to participate in such a dangerousoperation.
19. I'm glad we had this opp_________ to talk.
20. There are a doz______ eggs in the basket.
21. Every working person must pay income t_____.
22. The pirates buried the trea_______ on a desert island.
23. Her beauty and cha_______ had a powerful effect on men.
24. La_____ of rain led to a shortage of water in the city.
25. He takes cr_____ and sugar in his coffee.
26. The rich man died and left all his we______ to his son.
27. Pup_______ must hand in their papers by the end of the week.
28. This sweater is too tight. It needs to be stret____.
29. Ann intro_______ her boyfriend to her mother.
30. Teenagers often adm_____ and worship pop singers.
31. If you blow up that balloon any more it will bur______ .
32. In order to be accepted into the university, he had to impr______his grades.
33. The telegram was deli_______ two hours after it had been sent.
34. The differences were so sl_______ that they went unnoticed.
35. The dress you're wearing is lov_______.
36. He wasn't very popu______ when he was a teenager, but he has manyfriends now.
37. In most countries parents don't have to pay for their children'ssecondary edu_________.
38. How would you grade this paper on a sc_______ of 1 to 10?
39. The jour______ from London to Wellington was full of surprises.
40. The driver reduced sp________ as he was approaching the city.
41. A train went off the ra_______ and crashed into the building.
42. In the past, European rulers built cas_________ to protect the citiesfrom attack.
43. She asked the barman for a glass of white wi_______.
44. He works in an office as a cl________.
45. I want to sleep. Ask the children not to make so much no_______.
46. The small town has dev______ into a big city.
47. The librarian arr________ the books in alphabetical order.
48. I don't want to go out. I pre_______ to stay at home.
49. What I have to tell you is secret. Please, sh______ the door.
50. The water is boi_______. Tea will be ready in a minute.
51. In many countries doctors ea_______ a high salary.
52. History students have to learn about anc________ civilizations.
53. Jerusalem is a ho_______ city for Christians, Jews and Muslims.
54. It was dif_______ to decide which person to hire for the job.